Although it was nice to see everyone again and update everyone on Abigail and show off new pictures of her, I wasn't looking forward to jumping back into the actual corporate world and leaving Abby at home. I figured it would be hard after spending virtually every single minute with her for the past 12 weeks.
Although I missed her, I didn't have to worry about anything since Nana and Granma were babysitting Abby at our house. They have fun watching her! Our guest room is now being put to good use too. Nana is reliving her days from when I was a baby!
Being back at work has its ups and downs. I get more adult social interaction this way. When I go to the bathroom or eat lunch, I get to take my time for the most part and don't feel rushed to get it done before baby starts crying. If I want, I can use my lunch hour to run out to the stores to get some errands done, whereas it'd be hard to do otherwise from home sometimes. My back doesn't get sore and I don't deal with baby cries or tears.
On the other hand, I wish I could be with Abigail during the day instead of just weeknights and weekends. Being at work makes me soo tired. At least before if Abby was napping during the day, I could do the same. Now I'm at work, expected to perform and then come home, deal with dinner, dishes, and other chores, plus breastfeed, playtime, bathtime, and most likely getting up in the middle of the night for another feeding. My morning routine has doubled in time for the most part. Some days I feel like a zombie at work. But wes gots to pays the bills yo!
Breastfeeding has been another interesting task while back at work. When I am at work, Abby gets two bottles which means I pump twice while at work to keep the supply going. Luckily I am close to two empty/private offices that I can use but it takes 20 minutes out of my day each time, then I have to rinse everything off in the bathroom and keep the milk in the shared refrigerators. When I come home I get to clean 2 baby bottles and 2 sets of breast pump pieces... making it a total of approximately 22 little pieces. It's time consuming and it does get tiring. On nights and weekends we don't bother with any bottles so at least I get a little break with that.
Being back at work also means...work. Right now I not only have to catch up with the analysts that backed me up on my accounts while I was out, but I was also given a new client account to learn. I am also helping out with a time-consuming Oncology project. However, my two new work rules are: 1) When it's time to go home, it's time to go home - I can't stay extra hours or log on from home in the evening as I've done in the past, and 2) I can't travel at this time and they have to just accept that.
Does it sound like I am complaining? Maybe I am. It's definitely an adjustment in numerous ways. I know there are plenty of other moms out there that are in a similar situation. I just gotta go with the flow and enjoy the time I do have with Abby to the fullest - and I am! Oh and I have 3 weeks vacation to use before the end of the year - woohoo!
No comments:
Post a Comment